Resume or CV accepted by email to email@example.com, ATTN: HR, or by mail to STOKDIJK GREENHOUSES, HR DEPT, 1924 HWY 236, Beaver Brook, NS B6L1H3
NO DROP-INS OR PHONE CALLS ACCEPTED.
$22-28/hr DOE for 4th Class Certified.
The Boiler and Facilities Maintenance Person, who must be 4th Class Power Engineer certified, is responsible for troubleshooting and maintenance of boiler, all facility equipment and buildings in an industrial agricultural facility.
This will be a full-time position, combining hours between Boiler operation/maintenance duties and maintenance of structures, systems, and equipment for buildings, hydroponic greenhouse and packhouse. Tractor and equipment operation required. In addition to the boiler and maintenance requirements, this position requires the employee to become knowledgeable in the efficient operation of the biomass fuel system.
Key Job Activities:
- Regular building and equipment maintenance – Perform preventative, routine and corrective maintenance activities to boiler & greenhouse systems, and buildings, as required.
- Boilers and Boiler Room Operations- Monitor and maintain heating system and greenhouse buildings and systems to maintain consistent greenhouse temperatures and ideal growing conditions year-round.
- Greenhouse, packhouse, warehouse maintenance
- Hog fuel and fuel system management
- Planning and coordinating maintenance
- Problem solving
- Safety, and other general duties
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Dependable, punctual and trustworthy
- Aptitude and interest for learning.
- Demonstrating the ability and organizational skills to work independently, and as part of a team, in a progressive work environment, focused on continuous improvement.
- Comfortable working in confined spaces and at heights
- Demonstrate a positive work ethic and have the ability to work and communicate successfully in a team environment, with minimal supervision.
- Given the nature of this position, being adaptable to various work assignments and conditions is essential.
- Proven mechanical and troubleshooting skills with 1 or more years of related experience
- Willingness to work shifts, overtime, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects without losing focus on the details.
- Ability to work independently on a timely basis.
Education and Experience:
- Community college certificate/diploma (or equivalent) degree 4th Class Power Engineer certificate
- 1+ years of experience in boiler operation
- 1+ years of experience in maintenance (preferred)
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Those who have successfully completed a 4th Class Power Engineer program at a Community College will also be considered.
- Those with extensive industrial maintenance experience will also be considered.
- Safety: CPR Certificate, First Aid Certificate, WHMIS Certificate
- Welding experience is an asset
- Knowledge of operating farm equipment is an asset.
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical repair concepts is an asset.
- Previous experience in agriculture an asset.
- Flexible options for insurance package (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, life, disability)- Monthly cap. After 3 months employment
- Paid vacation
- RRSP matching- annual cap.
- Casual dress
- Discounted or free food
Work site environment
- You will be required to lift heavy objects exceeding 50lbs and have ability to stand and move for entire shift of 8 hours. Also, must be able to kneel, stoop, crouch, or crawl and maintain or regain balance.
- While performing duties, the employee could be exposed to seasonal weather conditions (very hot or very cold); moving mechanical equipment; high work locations; dust or airborne particles; chemicals; high voltage electrical equipment where there is risk of electrical shock; confined spaces. The noise level in some areas of the work environment can be loud, requiring hearing protection.
- Ear plugs
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Shift work – mandatory
- Scheduled on-call, nights and weekends required.
- Local radius must be maintained when on-call.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Truro, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location
Only those who can legally work in Canada will be considered.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
All hires are conditional upon the successful completion of references and background checks.